RWPZ is currently recruiting for year-round, part-time, non-exempt, Visitor Services Representative. Under the direction of the Director of Visitor Services (or other manager on duty), the individual in this position will be primarily responsible for greeting visitors, selling admission tickets and memberships, as well as providing information on programs, events, and general information. Visitor Services Representatives will wear many hats, at times stepping in as guest services, zoo operations, event assistance, and stroller rentals, just to name a few. Paramount focus will be serving our guests with excellent customer care at both Roger Williams Park Zoo and Carousel Village. This position is considered part-time, year-round working an average of approximately 28 hours per week, April through early January, with additional off-season hours needed.
- Outstanding customer service in all guest relations, including interacting with guests and communicating organization policy/information.
- Maintain knowledge about the zoo and park attractions (i.e. hours, pricing, directions and programs).
- Selling tickets, merchandise, memberships and membership renewals.
- Processing all cash, check, and credit/debit transactions.
- Uphold secure cash control procedures and daily receipt reconciliation.
- Assist with functions, programs, and special events such, including but not limited to: Zoobilee, Asian Lanterns, Brew at the Zoo, birthday parties, public programs, and Jack-o-Lantern Spectacular and Holiday Lights.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Director of Visitor Services, manager on duty, and/or other zoo employees.
- Provide guests with valuable visitor information regarding the zoo as well as various park venues.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Director of Visitor Services, Manager Visitor Services and/or other zoo team members.
Experience and Education:
Completion of a high school diploma or related prior work experience; and/or equivalent combination of education and experience. Plus 1-2 years of experience in a position that interfaces with the public and/or manages money on daily basis is preferred. Bilingual in multiple languages is a plus.
Skills and Aptitudes:
- Friendly, helpful demeanor with a cooperative attitude.
- Flexible, organized, and ability to mediate disputes and/or solve problems.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Able to produce quality work independently with minimum supervision.
- Ability to:
- communicate effectively with the public,
- handle frequent interactions with general public,
- work effectively under pressure,
- provide quality and outstanding customer service,
- follow directions whether verbal or written,
- work outdoors in various weather conditions,
- perform the essential functions of the job.
- Successful completion of a background check, per organization policy.
- Valid state driver’s license.
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays, as required by the department. A minimum of 3 shifts per week are expected for each employee, including at least 1 weekend day. The employee will be expected to work peak time, including major fundraisers/event days and School Vacation Week (please see Director of Visitor Services for exact details: exemptions granted at the Director’s discretion).
- Must own and use a reliable cell phone.
- Must have access to email, as it is a primary form of communication for the organization.
- Dependable, self-sufficient transportation is required.
- Computer proficiency and/adept on learning new software applications in a fast-paced environment. The employee will be expected to fluently use the sales software, scheduling software, and organization’s payroll software independently (plus other programs as needed).
- Required to stand, walk, lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds throughout the zoo to set up for events.
As a Visitor Services Representative, you will be joining our team in showcasing our Zoo pride and excellence in customer service.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter and resume to:
Roger Williams Park Zoo
ATTN: Visitor Services Representative
1000 Elmwood Ave
Providence, RI 02907