RWPZ is currently recruiting for part-time, Horticulturists. Under the supervision of the Manager of Buildings/Grounds Maintenance and Horticulture, the Horticulturalist is responsible for all plant material within the Zoo and RWP Carousel including, but not limited to, weeding, fertilizing, pruning, mulching and leaf removal.
- Plant floral or ornamental plant and trees.
- Care and maintenance of all plant material within the Zoo including but not limited to, weeding, fertilizing, pruning and mulching.
- Irrigation of plants and lawns (public and off-exhibits areas).
- Daily operations and maintenance of the Greenhouse.
- When necessary, plan for the freezing, winterizing of plants.
- Landscaping inventories. Grass cutting, including trimming and edging.
- Special event setup of plant material.
- Identification of toxic plants.
- Participation and coordination of leaf removal.
- Follow all Zoo procedures in regards t driving and maintaining Zoo vehicles and motorized equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Manager of Buildings/Grounds Maintenance and Horticulture and/or the Deputy Director of Operations.
- Assist in other areas if the Operations department including, but not limited to, crowd control and evacuation.
Experience and Education:
High school equivalent plus one year experience in landscape design, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Bilingual in multiple languages is a plus.
Skills and Aptitudes:
- Knowledge and use of plant materials.
- Proficient in hand power tools, snow blower, grass mower, etc..
- Cooperative attitude.
- Highly organized and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the public.
- General knowledge of plant identification.
- Successful completion of a background check, per organization policy.
- Valid state driver’s license.
- Ability to work outdoors under various weather conditions.
- 24 on-call available for Zoo emergencies, including storm responses.
- Willingness to work a flexible work schedule, including occasional evenings, weekends and holidays. This includes Zoo Events such as Asian Lanterns, Zoobilee, Brew at The Zoo, and Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular.
- While performing the duties of he job, the employee occasionally sits and lifts and/or moves objects up to 50 pounds. This position often requires the employee to work in confined spaces and climb a ladder to maximum height of 25 feet.
- Work environment is primarily out in the public spaces of the Zoo where the noise levels is usually moderate to loud.
As a Horticulturist, you will be joining our team in showcasing our Zoo pride and excellence in customer service.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity to be a team member at a well-renowned Zoo in the New England area, send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Roger Williams Park Zoo
1000 Elmwood Ave
Providence, RI 02907