Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I share/use another person’s online training as my online training hours?
No. Each examinee must complete their own online training course and their own examination.
- What is the difference between being certified with ServSafe and being certified/licensed in the State of RI?
a. Being a certified ServSafe® Food Safety Manager Certification means that you have passed the Food Safety Manager’s exam and now nationally certified.
b. Being licensed with the State of RI means you are a registered Food Safety Manager and met RI Food Safety Manager regulations.
- Do I have to take the 6-hour recert class or can I just take a test to renew my certification?
You can just take a test to renew your certificate as per the new RI Department of Health state
regulations. You must pass with a score of 75% or higher.
- Does it still cost $125.00 to purchase the online course even though I only am getting recertified?
The ServSafe® Food Safety Manager’s Online course is $125, however RI State now requires an examination for Recertification. You are not a required to purchase the online course for a Recertification however you may do so at your own discretion to use as a study tool.
- Are there any study tools available to me if I am only doing a RE-Certification exam?
Yes. Once you register for an exam we will:
a. We provide a brief 30-minute review at 2:00 PM just prior to your Recertification exam.
b. You will also receive a practice exam emailed over once you have registered.
c. You may purchase a ServSafe® Food Safety Manager textbook from ServSafe.com
d. You may purchase an online course from ServSafe.com
e. You may register for a Full Certification training.
- Are ServSafe® textbooks and online courses available in other languages? If so which languages?
The ServSafe® Manager 7th Edition books are currently available in English, Spanish, Chinese and Korean. Examinations are available in English, Spanish, Chinese, French Canadian, Japanese, and Korean. The ServSafe® Food Safety Manager’s online course is available in English and Spanish.
- My license expired on XXXX date. How long do I have to recertify with the state?
- How do I print my ServSafe certificate?
To obtain your ServSafe® Food Safety Manager certification you have to follow the instructions that
were sent to you via email by the National Restaurant Association, along with providing your exam
session number that was given to you on the green sheet of paper during your examination session. If
you have not received that email, you will need to contact ServSafe at 1-800-765-2122 so they can assist
you in logging into your account.
If you do not have a printer you may log on to ServSafe.com and go to My Exams, you’ll see an option to
have your certificate printed and mailed to you. There’s a $10 fee to have certificate mailed.
- I lost my certificate. Can I get another copy?
Yes. You can acquire a copy of your ServSafe® certificate by logging into your ServSafe® account online.
If you do not have an online account or have misplaced your account information you will need to
contact the National Restaurant Association at 1-800-765-2122 or by visiting their website at
- If I fail the exam, can I take it again?
Yes. The National Restaurant Association’s ServSafe® re-test policy is as follows: An examinee may take
the exam twice within a 30-day period, if necessary. If three or more attempts are required, the
examinee must wait at least 60 days from the last attempt.
- What happens if I keep failing the exam?
If you are unable to pass the exam after your 3rd attempt, you must re-take the training course prior to
sitting for the exam again.