- val2['open_window']=='Y'">Legislative Updates
- val2['open_window']=='Y'">RI General Assembly
- val2['open_window']=='Y'">RI Secretary of State
- val2['open_window']=='Y'">Take Action
- val2['open_window']=='Y'">Bill Tracker
- val2['open_window']=='Y'">PAC Donations
- val2['open_window']=='Y'">RIHA Special Projects Fund
Sarah R. Bratko, Esq.
Vice President of Advocacy and General Counsel
401-223-1120, ext. 115
The Rhode Island Hospitality Association is working for you. Our Lobbyists and staff have spent over 500 hours on key legislation in an effort to promote your interest, as a member of the local hospitality industry, and to safeguard your businesses from the visible and unseen costs of proposed legislation.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
- Testimony has been provided to inform the legislature of the side effects resulting from House bill 5403 that encourages a gradual ban on the use of disposable plastic checkout bags. If adopted, restaurants could offer recyclable paper bags, but would be required to charge 10 cents each for them as a means to incentivize the use of reusable shopping bags. Furthermore logistical issues arise as to when and how this additional fee should be charged.
- The Sakonnet Bridge tolls are a major concern for many Rhode Islanders and we are dedicated to supporting legislation that would implement economic and procedural alternatives to mitigate any effects the tolls may have. One Current option is developing a maintenance fund which will be financed by diverting a percentage of money from an increased vehicle safety inspection fee S 242.
- We are fighting to include an exemption for restaurants in House proposals 5278 and 5849 which impose mandatory labeling requirements for manufacturers and retailers that place a product containing genetically modified organisms (GMOs) on to the market. These tracing requirements currently written into the bills place an unwarranted burden on restaurant employers for factors that are largely out of our control.