RWPZ is currently recruiting for a full-time, year-round Evening and Special Events Manager. Under the general supervision of the Deputy Director/Operations and/or Director of Visitor Services, the Evening and Special Events Manager is a key team member in the development and growth of events held at Roger Williams Park Zoo and Carousel Village. The individual in this position is also responsible for helping to ensure high quality day and night-time ticketed and value-added events. Examples of events include: Holiday Lights Spectacular, Asian Lantern Spectacular, Brew at the Zoo, Zoobilee, Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular, Food Truck Fridays, and Spooky Zoo.
- Develop, oversee, support, and grow all ticketed and daytime value-added events at the Zoo and Carousel Village. This includes developing operational plans, managing, and assisting with the setup and breakdown, and working with fellow event team members on researching and planning of ticketed and value-added events, both new and established.
- Manage events to ensure they are kept to a timely schedule and remain on budget.
- Functional supervision, training, and management of event support staff, including event set-up crews and third-party vendors.
- Collaborate with team members from varying departments to coordinate cross-department support for events, ensure seamless event experiences for our guests.
- Effectively interact and communicate with employees, volunteers, and various external groups/vendors, responding to their inquiries and/or requests.
- Act as a liaison to the Deputy Director of Operations, Director of Visitor Services, and the Event Team to communicate the needs of the event, such as long lines, supplies, staffing requirements and placement, etc.
- Act as Zoo Lead and Emergency Response Coordinator during afterhours events.
- Help to maintain Roger William Park Zoo's reputation for highly quality events and aesthetics, advancing our mission and encouraging support of the Zoo.
- Cultivate and maintain a positive working environment.
Experience and Education:
Completion of an Associates Degree in Event Management, or related field, from an accredited institution and at least two years of event management or relevant hospitality experience; or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
Skills and Aptitudes:
- Flexible, organized, and ability to mediate disputes and/or solve problems.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Demonstrated initiative and customer service orientation.
- Ability to:
- communicate effectively with the public.
- work in a high public contact area.
- handle frequent interactions with general public.
- provide quality and outstanding customer service.
- follow directions whether verbal or written.
- work outdoors in various weather conditions.
- lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds.
- walk, move, and stand for several hours at a time.
- Successful completion of a background check, per organization policy.
- Valid state driver’s license.
- Frequently work outdoors in various weather condition. (rain, cold and extreme heat)
- Willingness and ability to work primarily nights, evenings, and weekends. This position will require the successful candidate to switch between daytime and nighttime hours depending on the zoo’s event schedule. This individual may be restricted to the months of January, February, March, and July when using paid time off leave.
As the Evening and Special Events Manager, you will be joining our team in showcasing our Zoo pride and excellence in customer service.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity to be a team member at a well-renowned Zoo in the New England area, send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Roger Williams Park Zoo
ATTN: Evening and Special Events Manager
1000 Elmwood Ave
Providence, RI 02907
FULL BENEFITS - SEE ZOO WEBSITE FOR DETAILS.