RWPZ is currently recruiting for part-time, seasonal, Visitor Services Ride Operator. Under general direction and supervision of the Director of Visitor Services, the employee in this position is primarily responsible for the safe operation of rides at Roger Williams Park Zoo and its sister site, Carousel Village. Rides currently include a Soaring Eagle zip ride and two all-ages premium train rides. Ride Operators must always ensure the safety of the space, which includes all guests, staff, and members of the public. The zoo provides training and a series of standard operating procedures for Ride Operators to reference and uphold in their position. This position is considered part time, year-round (majority of scheduled hours will be in April through early January), with at least 1 weekend day required per week, plus an assortment of days and nights expected.
- Daily testing of ride operating systems.
- Daily inspections of equipment to detect for wear, tear and damage. Operators must notify applicable personnel of any concerns and the ride may close if major repairs are needed.
- Stop vehicle and de-board passengers in cases of emergency.
- Operate equipment that starts and shuts down the ride after allotted time.
- Operate an electric train with up to 4 cars in tight locations.
- Test ride daily before opening ride to patrons.
- Act as ride ambassador when communicating with patrons, including, but not limited to, answering patron inquiries and providing information about the facilities and experience.
- Collect tickets for each ride.
- Ensure appropriate number of patrons admitted to the ride.
- Assist patrons entering and exiting the ride, including loading and unloading customers onto rides in a safe and efficient manner.
- Ensure all patrons, adults and children, meet the appropriate safety requirements (including height and weight requirements) of each ride.
- Provide riders with directions for safety fastening devices and check riders are secured in seats.
- Explain any applicable safety procedures to riders.
- Enforce all safety regulations and stay current with safety and standard operating rules and procedures.
- Clean and disinfect ride and clean up debris around ride after every ride cycle and prior to any riders entering the ride area.
- Monitor patrons during the ride to ensure their safety.
- Arrange for removal of disruptive patrons from the ride area.
- Perform minor repairs, adjustments or maintenance tasks such as oiling and lubricate parts, as needed and called for by manufacturer’s instructions.
- Provide support to other RWPZ staff members as needed.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Director of Visitor Services, manager on duty, and/or other zoo employees.
Experience and Education:
Completion of high school diploma or equivalent plus prior customer service experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with operating amusement rides preferred. 1-2 years of experience in a position that interfaces with the public is preferred.
Skills and Aptitudes:
- Friendly, helpful demeanor with a cooperative attitude.
- Flexible, organized, and ability to mediate disputes and/or solve problems.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to:
- communicate effectively with the public,
- handle frequent interactions with general public,
- work effectively under pressure,
- provide quality and outstanding customer service,
- follow directions whether verbal or written,
- work outdoors in various weather conditions,
- perform the essential functions of the job.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, efficient, and cooperative relationships with employees. Vendors, professionals from other organizations, the general public and Zoo members.
- Attention to detail in everyday work practice.
- Ability to work with patrons of all ages and abilities.
- At least 18 years old (necessitated by the supervision of minor aged guests).
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Valid state driver’s license and a clean driving record.
- Willingness to work flexible work schedule, including occasional evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Willingness to be on call for carousel emergencies, including severe weather conditions.
- Always maintain a professional and neat appearance.
- Must be available to work weekends
- Basic knowledge of hand tools and mechanical maintenance are necessary.
- Frequently required to stand, sit, walk, and step up and down from various platforms for prolonged periods.
- Occasionally lifts and/or moves up to 50 pounds.
As a Visitor Services Ride Operator, you will be joining our team in showcasing our Zoo pride and excellence in customer service.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter and resume to:
Roger Williams Park Zoo
ATTN: Visitor Services Ride Operator
1000 Elmwood Ave
Providence, RI 02907