RWPZ is currently recruiting for part-time, Buildings & Grounds Maintenance Event Staff. The Buildings & Grounds Maintenance Staff are responsible for the custodial activities for Roger Williams Park Zoo and Carousel Village during events such as the Asian Lantern Spectacular, Zoobilee, Brew at the Zoo, Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular, Holiday lights as well as Food Truck Fridays and after-hour Zoo events. Though most events are night-time events, there may be times this position will be asked to work day-time shifts as well.
- Provide professional cleaning and maintenance of all public areas and private restroom facilities within the Zoo and Carousel Village, depending on where the event is taking place.
- Litter removal in all public and private areas excluding animal areas.
- Recyclable and trash removal and hauling, liner replacement, and cleaning all receptacles daily and as needed.
- Special event setup, decorating and take down as requested.
- Plan daily work assignments and break schedules.
- Maintain clean viewing glass throughout the zoo.
- Maintain an hourly bathroom check in all areas where the event is happening.
- Proper storage of janitorial equipment and supplies, maintaining well stocked, clean and organized supply closets.
- Maintain a clean dumpster.
- Ability to help with crowd control during organizational events.
Experience and Education:
One year experience in a cleaning environment.
Skills and Aptitudes:
- Extremely strong:
- verbal and written communication skills,
- research skills,
- customer service skills.
- Comfortable working both independently and collaboratively.
- An appreciation for informal, lifelong learning in agreement with the RWPZ’s mission and commitment to education and conservation.
- 24-hour availability for Zoo emergencies, including storm response.
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Valid state driver’s license.
- Ability to work evenings. This includes Zoo Events such as Asian Lanterns, Zoobilee, Brew at the Zoo, Food Truck Fridays, Holiday Light Spectacular and the Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular.
- Ability to work outdoors in various weather conditions.
- Required to stand, walk, lift and/or move objects up to 50 pounds throughout the zoo to set up for events.
As a part of our Seasonal Buildings and Grounds Maintenance Event Staff, you will be joining our team in showcasing our Zoo pride and excellence in customer service.